Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Simplistic View...week 7

Over the past two weeks I have been committed to my guided reading notes.  I wanted to make sure
that I was keeping it simple, but yet recording information that would inform my instruction for the next day.  This process was well worth the ride, especially at the mid-year point of the school year.  

This week I am going to commit to what I say in the form of feedback.  I have recorded information that informs my instruction, but this week I want to monitor my feedback to students.  In order to nudge a student forward, I need to make sure that I am not only informing my instruction but informing the student as well for they are the reason we work so hard as educators.  I am going to just be aware...and focus on the following questions.

  • Is my feedback focused on a specific learning target or strategy?  

  • Do I provide observations that focus on a student's learning process and make comparisons to prior performance or connections to their classroom learning?  

  • Do I provide feedback that focuses on the work and does not judge the student?  

  • Do I stay positive and make clear observations?

There is a book that I have had for years titled, How To Give Effective Feedback.  I went back and reread, Chapter Two: Types of Feedback and their Purposes, to generate my questions for this week.  This week will be about reflection and making sure that what I "simply" say is worth saying.

If you are following my whole "simplistic view" journey...here are the focuses for this week...

MIND: Commit to glass half full. With test and legislative stress looming at work, family members working through hard times or decisions, and just life.  I am committing to positive thinking AND positive communication.  The Mayo Clinic says that committing to positive thinking will...
  • Increased life span
  • Lower rates of depression
  • Lower levels of distress
  • Greater resistance to the common cold
  • Better psychological and physical well-being
  • Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
  • Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
BODY:  Commit to avoid one "simple carb" meal a day.  I am frustrated...drinking only water, working out 3-4 times a week with a combination of strength and cardio, and planning healthy meals for the week on Sundays.  And...no  movement on the scale...again!  My body does feel different...more energy...stronger...cleaner...but...hmmmm...So this week I am focusing on having one "simple carb" free meal a day.  By "simple carbs" I mean bread, pasta or rice.  Let's see if that shakes things up!


2 comments:

  1. Great reflective practice. I admire hoe you're posting.every week. BTW our interim principal, Pam, knows you and spoke your praises!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww....and I am so happy that you are getting the chance to know her! She hired me as a literacy coach when I first came to the district. She is an amazing administrator, colleague and friend! Small world :)

      Delete