Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Simplistic View...week 6

Last week my focus was...Commit to my notes.  

This reflection could not have happened at a better time.  Last week I was working with a teacher in my building on this very thing...plus...had some conversations about guided reading with a colleague who does consultations for districts. I realized that my note taking system is working.  It is simple.  I write down what they do so I can see what they are not doing.  My biggest realization was that I was delighted to see one of my beliefs about reading in my notes.  I believe that conversation promotes the exchange of ideas so the students can develop flexible thinking by confirming, predicting, and adjusting.  After reading a two page spread silently, I asked students..."What are you thinking now?"  And the conversation begins!  Below are my notes from one conversation.  I monitor if their thinking is within, beyond, or about the text.  This helps me celebrate and "see" (instead of just hearing) where their level of thinking lies in the story.  If a student is staying literal with their thinking...why?  Does the student ever talk "about" the text?  When talking "beyond the text", does the student ground their thinking in the text?  Last year I added the conversation labels at the bottom of my note taking sheet.  This way I encourage conversation, monitor conversation, and can plan purposeful nudges to reach higher level thinking skills.

These notes are from a reading group that was working on a guided reading book labeled  K.

So next week:
TEACHING:  Commit to my notes (again).  Feel like this focus is not done...yet!
MIND: Commit to a date.  In the spirit of Valentine's Day this week, is there a person, partner, spouse, colleague, or family member that I have been meaning to get together with or get in touch with?  If so...this is the week to reach out and make time for that relationship on the calendar.
BODY:  Commit to my bedtime.  7 to 9 hours of sleep a night.  That simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment